Monthly Archives: March 2016
Use The Form Below To Call Your Representative In Support Of SB308
Call your Representative by filling out the form below. You will receive a call back from (770) 628-5434. Once you answer that call, you will be directly connected to your representative.
Here are a few things to remember:
Please indicate that you are a constituent.
Share the Facts: In 2014, Georgia's Pro-Life Pregnancy Centers saw approximately 26,000 new clients, provided at least 22,800 free pregnancy tests, and provided over 9,700 free ultrasounds.
Urge your representative to vote "YES" on SB 308.
Call for Action: Senate Bill 308 Positive Alternative for Pregnancy and Parenting
SB 308 will be heard in the House Health and Human Services Committee on Tuesday afternoon, March 8.
CALL TO ACTION: Please contact the members of the Georgia House Health and Human Services Committee and urge they pass Senate Bill 308.
As we have examined the call to protect the unborn, the question has not been WHAT can we do but WHICH option should we pursue and WHEN? Senate Bill 308 encompasses a reality that cannot be denied: The open doors and compassionate support of Georgia’s pregnancy care centers are the most effective tool we have to reach the abortion-minded woman.
The bill was introduced by Senator Renee Unterman, at the beginning of this session. It passed the Senate on February 11 with a vote of 38-16 in favor of the bill. Senator Unterman eloquently presented her legislation before the Senate and we are honored to work with her on this remarkable proposal. On February 19, we were elated to see initial funding for the program of $1,000,000.00 in the House’s proposed budget for FY 2017. We are seeking a total of $2,000,000.00 for the program.
Senate Bill 308 establishes the “Positive Alternatives for Pregnancy and Parenting Grant Program.” The stated purpose of the grant program is to promote healthy pregnancies and childbirth by awarding grants to not-for-profit organizations that provide free pregnancy support services throughout Georgia. The program will provide alternatives to abortion for Georgia’s women by redirecting state funding to pro-life pregnancy support services so that women seeking options will be encouraged to choose pregnancy and parenting or adoption.
Once passed, the following steps will occur:
- A third-party grant management agency (non-profit with pro-life mission), under supervision of the Department of Public Health, will manage grant applications, awards, payments.
- The state will fund the program; The House funded the bill at the $1million level and the Senate proposes to take that to $2million of initial funding in the FY 2017 budget (comparable to similar programs in PA, FL, TX, OK, MI, MN, etc.)
- The grant will make awards to non-profit pregnancy support providers throughout Georgia who may apply the grant to the following services:
- Medical care and information including but not limited to pregnancy tests, sexually transmitted infection tests, other health screening, ultrasound service, prenatal care and birth classes and planning;
- Nutritional services and education;
- Housing, education, and employment assistance during pregnancy and up to one year following a birth;
- Adoption education, planning, and services;
- Child care assistance if necessary for the client to receive pregnancy support services;
- Parenting education and support services for up to one year following a birth;
- Material items which are supportive of pregnancy, and childbirth including, but not limited to cribs, car seats, clothing, formula, or other safety devices; and
- Information regarding health care benefits, including but limited to available Medicaid coverage for the client for pregnancy care that provides health coverage for the client’s child upon his or her birth
According to Life Resources of Georgia, this program has the potential to impact over 25,000 Georgia women if our pregnancy centers simply continued to do business as usual. Our hope is that the grant will actually allow the Centers to impact many more!
Georgia Life Alliance is the Georgia affiliate of the National Right to Life. For More information about the work of GLA please visit: www.georgialifealliance.com, Facebook and Twitter .
For an interview, or to reach staff directly call: 678-597-8055.