2020 Speak Life Oratory Contest
More important than your obligation to follow your conscience, or at least prior to it, is your obligation to form your conscience correctly.Antonin Scalia
As the largest pro-life organization in our state and the only affiliate to National Right to Life, Georgia Life Alliance is proud to announce that submissions are now open for Speak Life 2020, the official Pro-Life Oratory Contest in Georgia! The winner receives $500 and competes in the national competition against winners from other states across the country!
During these uncertain times, it is important that we continue to build a culture of life among our next generation. That is why we are inviting all pro-life high school Juniors and Seniors to take advantage of this time at home and help educate their peers, gain valuable public-speaking experience and confidence, and take a stand for life through this powerful statewide program.
To adhere to Governor Kemp’s social distancing and public gathering restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s entries will be submitted in both text and video format. Judging will take place virtually and scores cards along with judges’ comments/feedback will be released privately to each contestant via the email address provided. See below for complete contest rules and guidelines. Submissions will only be accepted via the entry form below.
Who Can Enter?
- Current public, private, charter, hybrid, or home school high school juniors and seniors as of the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year
- Any current senior who previously won first place in the national contest may not compete again
Speech Topics and Rules
- Topics must be limited to:
- Euthanasia/assisted suicide
- Stem cell research
- Contestants are to research, write, and present an *original* pro-life speech that is between 5-7 minutes in length
- Presentations under 4 minutes or over 8 minutes will be disqualified
- 1st place winner receives $500 and will compete against other state-level winners from across the country in the National Right to Life Oratory Contest at their National Convention on June 27th in Herndon, Virginia.
- 2nd place/Runner Up: $250 and has a video of their speech featured on GLA’s facebook, twitter, instagram, and website
How/When Winners Will Be Chosen
- Winners will be announced on May 15th. The winner and runner-up will be notified via email to the email address provided with their submission and will also be announced on GLA’s social media pages.
- A panel of 3-5 impartial judges will score each submission based on:
- Introduction (Does the introduction make you want to hear more? Does it have a clear thesis?)
- Length (submissions should be between 5-7 minutes; points may be deducted for speeches that go over/under the limits, but not so much so that they are disqualified)
- Presentation (Appropriate eye contact, audibility, rate of delivery, voice inflection, fluency, tone, gestures, pronunciation, general sense of confidence, etc.)
- Content (Is each point relevant to the topic and substantiated with current documentation? Are the facts and figures used current? Good word usage? Does it have a logical, clear organization? Does it send a pro-life message?)
- Conclusion (Does the conclusion sum up the main points of the speech?)
Deadline for Submission
- Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on May 8th, without exception. Any entries submitted after that deadline, or via any manner other than this entry form without documented allowance from the contest administrators, will not be accepted or judged.
National Contest Details/More Information
- The National Right to Life Jane B. Thompson Oratory Contest is held each year in conjunction with the National Right to Life Convention.
- More information on the national contest and convention, and more details on the contest requirements can be found here https://www.nrlc.org/students/oratorycontest/
- Questions/comments? E-mail [email protected]