2021 Speak Life Oratory Contest
As the largest pro-life organization in our state and the only affiliate to National Right to Life, Georgia Life Alliance is proud to announce that registration is now open for Speak Life 2021, the official Pro-Life Oratory Contest in Georgia! This year’s contest will be held on Saturday, May 29th, at the Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta.
We truly believe it is vitally important that we continue to build a culture of life among our next generation of leaders. That is why we are inviting all pro-life high school Juniors and Seniors to help educate their peers, gain valuable public-speaking experience and confidence, and take a stand for life through this powerful statewide contest. The state level winner will go on to compete in the national competition for a chance to win $1,000!
Contestants must register no later than MAY 20th so that GLA can ensure a safe and fun event for all participants. See below for complete contest rules and guidelines. Registrations will only be accepted via the entry form below, walk-in or day-of registrations will unfortunately not be permitted.
Who Can Enter?
- Current Georgia public, private, charter, hybrid, and home school high school juniors and seniors (who have not previously won the national competition) as of the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year
Speech Topics and Rules
- Euthanasia/assisted suicide
- Stem cell research
- Contestants are to choose one of the topics above and research, write, and present an *original* pro-life speech that is between 5-7 minutes in length
- Presentations under 4 minutes or over 8 minutes will be disqualified
- Full Contest Rules and Parameters: https://www.nrlc.org/students/oratory-contest/rules/
- 1st place winner receives $500 and will be sent by GLA to compete against other state-level winners from across the country in the National Right to Life Oratory Contest at their National Convention on June 27th in Herndon, Virginia and will be invited to present his/her speech at our annual benefit gala in the fall.
- 2nd place/Runner Up receives $250 and has a video of his/her speech featured on GLA’s facebook, twitter, instagram, and website
- A panel of 3-5 impartial judges will score each speech based on:
- Introduction (Does the introduction make you want to hear more? Does it have a clear thesis?)
- Length (submissions should be between 5-7 minutes; points may be deducted for speeches that go over/under the limits, but not so much so that they are disqualified)
- Presentation (Appropriate eye contact, audibility, rate of delivery, voice inflection, fluency, tone, gestures, pronunciation, general sense of confidence, etc.)
- Content (Is each point relevant to the topic and substantiated with current documentation? Are the facts and figures used current? Good word usage? Does it have a logical, clear organization? Does it send a pro-life message?)
- Conclusion (Does the conclusion sum up the main points of the speech?)
Deadline for Registration
- Registrations to enter the statewide contest will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on May 20th, without exception. Registrations received after the deadline, or via any manner other than this entry form without documented permission from the contest administrators, will not be accepted or considered.
National Contest Details/More Information
- The National Right to Life Jane B. Thompson Oratory Contest is held each year in conjunction with the National Right to Life Convention, tickets to the full convention and accommodations will be provided by GLA.
- More information on the national contest and convention, and more details on the contest requirements can be found here https://www.nrlc.org/students/oratorycontest/
- Questions/comments? E-mail [email protected]
Speak Life 2020 Winner
Merrick not only won the 2020 Speak Life Oratory Contest, he also went on to win first place in the 2020 National Right to Life Oratory Contest, making him the second person from Georgia in the history of the contest to win first place at the national level. Merrick also presented his speech to an audience of over 250 people at the GLA Life at the Party Gala in October, 2020 with Governor Brian Kemp in attendance.